Monday, August 10, 2015

Anniversary Story: "Internship Changing Behavior" by Melissa Allen

Internship Changing Behavior
by Melisssa Allen, Groundwater Foundation Intern

Hi, my name is Melissa Allen, and I’m the intern here at The Groundwater Foundation. I began this internship with a two-month project of organizing and digitizing the photo archive, which stored an abundance of photos of almost every program, tour, festival and conference since the organization’s founding in 1985.

Through this first project, I acquainted myself with the history and people of The Groundwater Foundation. Through the Groundwater Guardian community networks, Groundwater University, the Children’s Groundwater Festivals – and the list goes on – individuals and communities across the country have worked together to educate the public about the importance of groundwater and its conservation.

The fact is, our environment is rapidly changing, and our uses and needs of water are changing along with it. Linking individuals and communities together to engage in water education is vital for its care and conservation.

I’m excited to be involved with an organization that is working at the forefront of this issue. For myself, I have not always been the most water-conscious person. In fact, I fancy myself as a hot-and-long shower enthusiast. But since joining The Groundwater Foundation as the intern, I have learned so much about the necessity of water for communities of all shapes and sizes. I’ve noticed changes in my own daily behavior that has lessened my water use based off of all that I’m learning here at the Foundation. As I learn more, I become more and more excited to help in the environmental education of my own community to keep our water flowing healthy and strong for generations to come.

_________________________


10 Weeks Until the 2015 Groundwater Foundation National Conference and 30th Anniversary Celebration!


30th Anniversary Story Teller Sponsor
Marshfield Utilities


30th Anniversary Story Teller Supporter
National Ground Water Association

No comments: