Kids are out of school and summer is upon us. Many times summer fun involves water, and here are easy ways to conserve water during summer fun.
1. If you want to beat the heat by running through the sprinkler, make it have a purpose! Periodically move the sprinkler around the lawn to give it all a good watering.
2. Position your sprinkler to water your garden or landscape while the kids splash and play.
3. Install a rain barrel on one of your home's downspouts. Let your kids paint and decorate it for a colorful, unique addition to your landscape.
4. If you're lucky enough to have a backyard pool, use a pool cover and keep the water cool to help reduce water lost to evaporation.
5. Stay cool by placing a wet cloth around your neck instead of using misters, where most of the water evaporates immediately.
6. Spend more time having fun and less time on yardwork - mow your grass less often and cut it longer. Less water will evaporate from taller grass, and you'll save time and energy by mowing less.
7. On your family vacation, reuse your hotel towels throughout your stay to conserve water and save on detergent added to water.
8. When eating out on your vacation, decline the frequent water refills if you don't plan to drink it for less water wasted down the drain.
9. Take the kids to the pool and skip the bath. Swimming counts as a bath during the summer, right?
10. Fill reusable water bottles instead of disposable plastic bottles during sporting events and summer road trips.
11. Keep a pitcher of water in the fridge for a refreshing drink after fun in the sun.