National Ground Water Association (NGWA), sponsor of #PYGWD, encourages everyone to become official “groundwater protectors” by taking steps to conserve and protect the resource. Businesses, individuals, educators, students, federal agencies, cities, associations, and everyone in between can ask to be added to our groundwater protector list through our website or on social media. Another great way to demonstrate your commitment to groundwater protection is by getting involved in the Groundwater Foundation's Groundwater Guardian and/or Green Site programs.
Additionally, on NGWA’s #PYGWD site groundwater protectors will find a toolkit with downloadable and shareable materials to spread the word. These materials include:
- Suggested social media posts (just copy and share!)
- List of facts about groundwater
- #PYGWD FAQ
- Logos and graphics, including email header, social media images, printable groundwater protector icon, and more
- Press release to share with local media or government officials
Approximately 132 million Americans rely on groundwater for drinking water. It is used for irrigation, livestock, manufacturing, mining, thermoelectric power, and several additional purposes, making it one of the most widely used and valuable natural resources we have. Consider the following facts:
- Americans use 79.6 billion gallons of groundwater each day.
- Groundwater is 20 to 30 times larger than all U.S. lakes, streams, and rivers combined.
- 44 percent of the U.S. population depends on groundwater for its drinking water supply.
- More than 13.2 million households have their own well, representing 34 million people.
Visit www.wellowner.org/pygwd or www.groundwater.org for more facts, resources, and ways you can help spread the word about groundwater protection.